2010-08-10

The Political Landscape in Indiana is Bleak

Last week, I received a call from someone at Organizing for America (Obama's political machine), asking me if they could count on my support for the Democratic candidates in the Senate and House races next November. I told her: no way! I am disappointed and angry that Obama has spent the last two years spitting in the face of his most ardent supporters, and still has the gall to expect that we would continue supporting him. As the old saying goes: "Fool me once, shame on you..." Like many, in 2008 I ignored all the red flags and got fooled into believing that Obama would be a different kind of politician. I won't repeat that mistake again.

The political landscape in Indiana is pretty bleak these days. The Democrat's candidate for the Senate seat vacated by Evan Bayh is Congressman Brad Ellsworth, a "Blue Dog" conservative and hawkish Democrat who has voted time and again to escalate Obama's war in Afghanistan. The Republicans are running a retreaded candidate in former Senator Dan Coats. Like (almost) all Republicans, Coats professes to stand for a "strong defense", meaning increasing already bloated military expenditures while gutting social welfare spending. He'll probably win as the Republicans will benefit from a wide enthusiasm gap. Following Obama's near landslide win in 2008, I would have predicted a repeat of the great FDR/Truman Democrat dynasty that ruled the country for two decades from 1933 to 1952. It's now already obvious that instead the Obama administration will crash in the mountains of Afghanistan just like LBJ's administration crashed in the jungles of Vietnam. To quote Pete Seeger: "When will they ever learn?"

No comments:

Post a Comment